Half-n-Half, Pure Tung Oil + Citrus Solvent
Real Milk Paint Co.
Pure Tung Oil + Citrus Solvent
Pre-mixed for easy use. This is a 1-to-1 mixture of Pure Tung Oil and Citrus Solvent.
First used by the Chinese more than 500 years ago to protect wood, masonry, and metal, pure tung oil is a hard drying oil that provides a lustrous and beautiful finish. It resists marring, penetrates well, and is environmentally friendly. This oil is the purest, highest quality you’ll find. All natural, food safe, and creates a flat finish. FDA approved for food contact.
- Naturally polymerizing wood finish
- Cures by oxidation not evaporation
- Does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats
- Form a flexible water proof finish
- Resists abrasion and acids
- Does not blister and peel (properly applied)
- Does not mold like linseed oil
- Long shelf life
- Does not darken with time like linseed oil
- Concentrated (thin one to one, doubles the coverage)
- Combined with Citrus Solvent makes an all-natural wood finish
- FDA approved for food contact
- Does not go rancid
- 7 to 10 days partial cure, 15 to 30 days full cure
This is coverage for the oil only, not diluted with Citrus Solvent, Pine Oil, or any other thinner. We recommend diluting 50/50 with a solvent to promote deeper penetration into the wood grain. The solvent will evaporate 100% after a few days of curing. Coverage will vary depending on type of wood, wood grain, and absorption.
- 8 oz. covers 25 sq. feet
- 16 oz. covers 50 sq. feet
- 32 oz. covers 100 sq. feet
- Gallon covers 400 sq. feet
WHY WE LOVE PURE TUNG OIL (PTO)
- PTO is an all natural finish that is water and alkali resistant and offers a protective barrier.
- PTO will not darken with age as other finishes will.
- PTO resists marring, penetrates well, elastic and unlikely to check.
- PTO builds quickly, consolidates the wood surface and builds a transparent matte finish.
- PTO will not mildew or bleed like linseed oil when dry which makes it an excellent candidate for outdoor finishes.
- PTO contains no thinners or driers and has a light nutty odor.
- PTO mixed with Citrus Solvent is an all-natural organic finish that is environmentally safe and food safe.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- Any wood filling or wood staining (water or alcohol stains work best) must be done before the oil is applied.
- Sand wood surfaces to 150 grit. Hardwoods with tight grain will take less oil. Sanding to 220 grit or finer will further reduce the oil absorption. This may meet your expectation for caskets. For heirloom furniture, you want more oil absorption for decades of durable protection, so stop sanding at 120 or 150 grit.
- The surface should be clean to remove all loose particles. If not, the dust will form a paste with the oil and stick to your surface. Vacuum thoroughly and wipe clean. Consider using Rubio Monocoat Wood Cleaner to wipe the surface.
- For better penetration the oil should be thinned one to one with natural Citrus Solvent (safe, VOC-free) or any commercial solvent thinner--follow safety precautions as directed.
- Using the Pure Tung Oil straight from the bottle would only be for the most thirsty surfaces like old weathered wood, 100 year old wood floors that were never finished or concrete.
- For the majority of all projects, you will thin 50% with thinners for the entire finishing process.
- Apply the first coat of thinned material heavy.
- Apply with a natural bristle brush, sponge brush, or foam sponge (like one for washing cars) for faster application on large areas.
- Allow the first coat to rest 30-40 minutes so the oil can soak in. As the oil soaks into the wood leaving areas that appear dry, apply another thin coat immediately. Continue to apply coats, one after another, until wood is saturated and stays glossy for a minimum of 40 minutes and as long as 90 minutes. If eighty percent of area stays glossy, the wood cells are saturated.
- Next, wipe down the surface with clean rag material. Continue to check for any seeping in the next few hours, and rub this off as well. Let soak in completely over night between applications. Do not allow standing oil on the surface overnight. Any standing or puddles oil should be wiped away with clean rags.
- Hang oil soaked rags up separately to dry.
- For woods with very dense pores like Teak wood, thin with two parts Citrus Solvent to one part oil will help it absorb better for every coat.
- Pure Tung Oil will take 7 to 10 days for a minimum cure and 15 to 30 days for a full cure.
- The solvent smell will continue for up to 10 days. Setup a fan to move the air or ventilate the area to accelerate the cure time and reduce the solvent odor--if using a VOC solvent (mineral spirits, turpentine, etc.) follow manufacturers safety instructions VERY carefully.
- Tung oil can be applied pure to very porous surfaces or with Citrus Solvent added if a non-toxic finish is required.
- Thinners can accelerate the drying process and greatly improve the penetration by cutting the first coat of oil with Citrus Solvent, mineral spirits or turpentine by 50%.
- Do not use the Green thinners now being sold. They contain water and will not mix with the oil.
- Remember by adding petroleum mineral spirits or turpentine, the oil becomes toxic with these substances mixed into it. Although the resultant finish is not toxic because the thinners evaporate.
- The number of coats of oil to be applied will be determined by the intended use of the piece. Two to four coats are enough for decorative work, paneling and molding. Surfaces that receive moderate to heavy use or handling could need up to six coats for maximum protection, plus a light renewal coats a couple of times a year.
- Apply till the surface reaches the saturation point. This will be evident as the surface will not absorb more oil.
- Renewal and building coats are quickly applied with cheese cloth, or a lint free cloth (old bed sheets work well). This process will give you a surface that will stand up to vigorous use and spills: water will bead on the surface.
- Do not get hung up on the number of coats, let the wood tell you when it has reached its maximum saturation.
- Pure Tung Oil will be in the wood rather than on the wood like varnish or Polyurethane top coat. The end result is more like seasoning a cast iron pan.
Orders placed before 11:00AM ship the same day. Allow 1-4 business days for delivery in the continental United States.
For rush orders and/or shipping outside of the USA, see shipping options at Order Checkout.
Building a casket?
Want to learn more about building caskets? Have a look at our friendly casket builder's guide, So You Wanna Build a Casket?